AREA OF USE:
Ideal for surfaces subjected to very heavy wear
- Very high resistance to wear
- Maximum resistance to scratching, scuffing and marring very good Resistance to grease, water, alcohol and household chemicals
- Easy to use
8–15 m²/l, depending on tools and wood species.
- Applicator with mohair felt, approx. 5 mm pile high 300-500mm width Roller with synthetic material approx 8 mm pile high
- Clean tools with water immediately after use.
- Base material Waterborne polyurethane dispersion
- Hardener Polyisocyanate diluted in dipropyleneglycoldimethyleether
- Solids content ca. 30% (ISO 3251 ) pH ca. 8,0
- Viscosity ca. 20 sec. (ISO 2431 )
- Density ca. 1040 kg/m³ (ISO 2811-1 )/(8,68 lb/gal US) (10,42 lb/gal UK)
- Abrasion resistance ca. 1,5 mg/100 revs. (SIS 92 35 09)
- Scuff resistance No marks at 6 kp/cm²
- Gloss (measured at 60°) ca. 20 for matte, ca. 45 for semi-gloss, ca. 90 for gloss
- Drying time
- Sealer coat ca. 1 hour at 23°C (73°F)/50% RH
- Second coat ca. 4 to 6 hours at 23°C (73°F)/50%RH
- Further coats ca. 4 to 6 hours at 23°C (73°F)/50% RH
- Storage Store frost-free. Must be stored between +10°C (+50°F) and +30°C (+86°F)
- Self life 12 months in unopened container from production date (s. package)
- Package size 5L together with hardener
- Waterborne floor finishes must not be covered with solvent borne finishes.
- Wood that has been chemically treated or mechanically compressed can not be finished with waterborne finishes.
- Oily and resinous wood species such as teak should be coated immediately after machine sanding.
- Stained floors should not be sealed but finished directly with Synteko Star.
- Tape must not be used on waterborne finishes.
- All finishes should be shaken before use. Do this before vacuuming so that the air mixed into the finish during
- shaking has a few minutes to escape before use.
- Do not apply more than two coats per day (sealer and/or finish).
BEFORE USING THE FLOOR
- The floor can be used with caution 24 hours after the last coat is applied.
- Furniture can be placed after 24 hours.
- Allow the moisture to evaporate for one week before laying rugs.
- Final curing of surface after 2 weeks.
- Do not clean floor with water or detergents during the first month.
- Attach felt pads to the legs of chairs and tables in order to avoid scratching the finish.
- The surface must not be covered with non-porous protective materials.
SYNTEKO STAR DIRECTIONS FOR USE
PREPARATION OF UNFINISHED FLOORS OR FLOORS WHERE OLD FINISH MUST BE REMOVED SANDING
Sand floors using accepted MFMA, NWFA or NOFMA procedures (US). Machine sand the surface to remove old treatments and impurities in the wood. The first sanding is made with a coarse sandpaper and high roller pressure. Make the floor surface as even as possible. If the floor is uneven in spots, sand locally to even out these areas. The final sanding is made with 120 – 150 grit sandpaper or screen, and with the lowest possible roller pressure. If roller pressure is too high, the soft springwood may be compressed. When moisture from the finish affects such softwood, it will raise the grain When moisture from the finish affects such softwood, it will raise the grain of the floor by swelling back to its original volume. Vacuum and tack the floor before applying Synteko Star. Do not forget to remove dust on skirtings, windowsills, radiators, etc.
- The finish should be at room temperature of approx. 23°C (73°F).
- Floor temperature must be between 15 and 25°C (60 to 77°F)
- Floor moisture content must be between 5 and 15%
- Humidity must be 50–60 % RH
- If possible direct sunlight should be blocked, also avoid too high or low temperature and humidity
- The finish should be at room temperature when applied. If the finish is too cold, it flows much less freely and also releases air poorly, which can result in brush stroke marks and air bubbles remaining after drying. It takes about seven hours to warm the lacquer from 0°C to 20°C.
Use Synteko Sealmaster 1600 or Sealer 1601 for sealing (s. separate Product Information ). The first coat is intended to seal the wood. Do not apply to heavy coat on less absorbing kind of wood. Do not allow puddles of finish to remain on the floor. If the sealer is poured onto the floor from the container, it must be spread as quickly as possible to prevent the wood from absorbing too much water. When sealing, it is practical to have as good ventilation as possible. This will help accelerate the drying time and reduce grain raising. In hot and dry climates, reduce ventilation in order to avoid too quick drying and risk of lap marks. Wait until the wood has an even colour tone before performing intermediate sanding. For intermediate sanding use a used 120 grit screen or paper or a new 150 grit. Vacuum and tack the floor before applying Synteko Star. Do not forget to remove dust on skirtings, windowsills, radiators, etc.
MIXING AND POT-LIFE
Synteko Star and Synteko Hardener 1648 must be mixed before use (read separate Product information for more detailed information on Synteko Hardener 1648). Add 5% or total contents of Hardener 1648 to a full container of Synteko Star. Immediately begin to shake in order to mix in the hardener into the finish and shake it for at least 30 seconds. Let the mixture stand five minutes before use, allowing air bubbles to surface. Finish mixed with hardener must be used within 2 hours. The container must be kept open after addition of hardener. Shake well before use!
Work gently with the applicator or roller, thus minimizing the amount of air mixed into the finish. Be careful in corners and other places where finish may be applied in increased amounts. Use a smaller brush in such areas.
If the relative humidity of the air is high and/or the temperature is low, reduce the amount of finish used. If the humidity of the air is low and/or the air temperature is high, increase the amount of finish used. Always avoid direct sunshine on the floor, which may heat the hardwood resulting in too quick drying. When using an applicator, use the ”snow plow” method in continuous, steady movements. When the whole surface has been completed, leave doors ajar. Avoid direct air drafts over the surface of the floor. Normal airflow is sufficient for the drying of the finish.
If further coats are desired, let the finish dry for 4 to 6 hours and do the intermediate sanding, use a used 120 grit screen or paper or a new 150 grit, vacuum cleaning and apply the finish as described above. However, do not apply more than two coats per day (sealer and/or finish) in order to allow the finish to dry and cure as soon as possible.
TREATMENT OF UV-CURED FLOOR FINISHES
An extra layer of Synteko Star can be applied to a pre finished, UV-cured, floor. First, sand or screen the floor using a very fine paper (180-240 grit) or an abrasive pad. Screen the surface until it has turned matte. Vacuum thoroughly, and tack the surface with a damp clean cloth to completely remove all the dust.
RE-FINISHING OF PREVIOUSLY FINISHED FLOORS
An absolute requirement for re-finish or touching up a previously finished surface is that it is free of grease, polish or similar substances. If the floor has been waxed, it should be sanded down to bare wood prior to finishing. If the floor has been treated with polish, an adhesion test must be carried out. First, a small area is coated with finish. After it has dried, scraping the area with the edge of a coin tests the adhesion. If the finish layer loosens, it did not adhere correctly, and complete sanding to bare wood is necessary. Before re-finishing clean with Synteko Remover 1692, then clean with 10% vinegar in 90% water to remove all residues of grease, polishes, etc. and finally wipe the floor with pure water. Sand or screen with a used 120 or 150 grit to obtain a matte surface, and vacuum clean thoroughly. Apply one or two coats of Synteko Star. Do not apply more than one coat a day
SYNTEKO WATERBASED FINISHES CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Surfaces treated with Synteko floor finishes are easy to keep clean. Vacuum cleaning and, if necessary, mopping with a Synteko SuperClean 1697 solution and a well wrung cloth is normally sufficient. Marks from rubber heels, shoe polish, lipstick, ink, etc. should be removed immediately with Synteko Remover 1692 or with mineral spirits. Avoid scrubbing with coarse brush or strong detergents. Periodic use of Synteko Newshine 1696 in high traffic areas will help to protect the floor. Synteko Newshine 1696 can also be used to restore light scratch marks.
How do I use Super Clean 1697?
Vacuum or mop the floor to remove any dirt. Prepare Synteko SuperClean as follows:
For normal cleaning, 1 part Synteko SuperClean to 50 parts water
For heavy cleaning, 2–3 parts Synteko SuperClean to 50 parts water
First, pour the water into a bucket. Never pour water directly onto a wood floor. Dip a soft cloth or a sponge mop into the mixture and wring thoroughly before cleaning the floor. Synteko SuperClean is suitable for wet mops and combi-machines.
How do I use Remover 1692?
Vacuum or mop the floor to remove any dirt. Prepare Synteko Remover as follows:
For normal cleaning, ½-1 part Synteko Remover to 100 parts water
For heavy cleaning, 2 – 3 parts Synteko Remover to 100 parts water
Soak a cloth in the mixture; do not pour it directly onto the floor.
Wet mop, let the mixture act for a few minutes and then dry mop. Further cleaning with 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water is recommended if sanding and recoating is to be done. The floor must be completely dry before screening and recoating.
How do I use Newshine 1696?
Before applying Synteko Newshine make sure that the floor is clean. Sweep, mop or vacuum the floor. Old soap, grease, polish etc. should be removed by washing with water and Synteko Remover. Apply Synteko Newshine in a thin, even layer using a damp mop or a non-flocculent cloth. Leave the floor to dry for app. 30 minutes before walking on it.
AREA OF USE:
Synteko Hardener 1648 is a crosslinker inteded for use only in combination with Synteko BEST or STAR, a two-component, waterborne, low-odour hardwood floor finishes for use in high traffic and commercial areas.
MIXING AND POT-LIFE
Add 5% or total contents of Synteko Hardener 1648 to a full container of Synteko BEST or STAR. Immediately begin to shake in order to mix in the hardener into the finish and shake it for at least 30 seconds. Let the mixture stand five minutes before use, allowing air bubbles to surface. Finish mixed with hardener must be used within 2 hours. The container must be kept open after addition of hardener.
SYNTEKO STAR & BEST HARDENER 1648
- Base material: Polyisocyanate diluted in dipropyleneglycoldimethylether
- Solids content: ca.70%
- Density: ca. 1080kg/m³ (ISO 2811 – 1 )/(8,68 lb/gal US) (10,42 lb/gal UK)
- Fire hazards: Not flammable
- Storage: Store frost-free. Must be stored between +10°C (+50°F) and +30°C (+86°F)
- Self life: 12 months in unopened container from production date (s. package)
- Package size: 0,24L (available only together with finish)