Synteko DOMO is an alkyd based faintly smelling low solid oil with very good properties. The oil is formulated for treatment of wood floors but also cork floors, wooden stairs, windowsills, benches etc.
AREA OF USE:
Recommended for us in areas with normal to heavy wear
- Practically odour-less
- Good Coverage
- Easy to use
- Good resistance to wear
- Can be tinted with Synteko TINTING PASTE 1675
- 10 – 30 m²/L, depending on tools and wood species
- Steel or rubber spatula. 300 – 500 mm width
- Red pad
- Non-flocculent cotton cloth or trowel for polishing
- Clean tools with white spirit (UK)
- Place used pads, cloths, spillages and waste in a sealed, water filled metal container immediately after use.
- Base material: Alkyd ester
- Solvents: Petroleum (naphta) hydro treated heavy
- Solids content: Approx.51%
- Density: Approx. 870 kg/m³ (7,26 lb/gal)
- Fire hazards: Not flammable
- Time for application: It is recommended to wait about 16-18 hours after the last application before the final buffing is made
- Drying time: Approx. 16 hours at 23°C (73°F)/50% RH
- Storage: Store frost-free. Must be stored between +10°C (+50°F) and +30°C (+86°F)
- Self life: 24 months in unopened container from production date (s. package)
- Package size: 5L
BEFORE USING THE FLOOR
- The floor can be used 1-2 days after the last polishing
- Do not wer a floor treated with Synteko floor oils during the first week
- Wait for 3 days before laying rugs or carpets
- Do not use vapour-proof, non-skid underlays or other coverings
- Vacuum or dry-mop floors regularly
- Do not allow unabsorbing oil to dry! Dried unabsorbed oil produces glossy spots on the surface.
- On wood with low absorption, leave some areas untreated during the first application. These areas will be filled during the redistribution procedure.
- The oxygen curing process will be extremely slow if the temperature is below 18 degrees Celsius.
- Increasing the floor temperature after application by too heavy polishing or sunlight will result in a risk of bleeding back of the oil.
- Floor heating system must be turned on during application and polishing.
be sure to start regular maintenance before the surface is worn through the bare wood.
- NB! Place all used organic materials like pads and cloth in a metal container filled with water for at least 16 hours to avoid self-combustion. Dispose of them according to regulations.
PREPARATION OF UNFINISHED FLOORS OR FLOORS WHERE OLD FINISH MUST BE REMOVED SANDING
Sand floors using accepted MFMA, NWFA or NOFMA procedures (US). Machine sand the surface to remove old treatments and impurities in the wood. Sand the floor to barewood -free from old finish, dirt and unevenness. The first sanding is done with a coarse sandpaper and high roller pressure. Make the floor surface as even as possible. If the floor is uneven in spots, sand locally to even out these areas.
The final sanding is done with 100-120 grit sandpaper or screen, and with the lowest possible roller pressure.
Important! Vacuum and tack the floor before applying Synteko floor oil. Do not forget to remove dust on skirtings, windowsills, radiators, etc.
The mixing of DOMO 1619 oil with TINTING PASTE 1675 is easily done by adding the tinting paste to the oil and shaking the container thoroughly (see separate product information). Always use full tubes of tinting paste. Be sure to completely empty the tube into the oil in order to avoid colour differences
DURING THE USE:
- The oil should have room temperature.
- Floor temperature must be between 15 and 25°C (64 to 77°F)
- Floor moisture content must be between 5 and 15%
- The moisture content of the wood should be between 5% and 12%.
- Shake the can carefully before application.
- Do not apply areas larger than 25 m² (269 ft²) at a time (10 m² (107 ft²) at a time in good drying conditions).
APPLICATION AND POLISHING
Before starting work, protect adjacent areas against splashing and spilling. The number of coats necessary depends on how much oil the floor will absorb. The best result is obtained with several thinner coats. Softwoods and beech absorb more; hard and exotic (oily) woods absorb less oil. The wood should be well fed, but not overfed.
Plan your work well, large areas should be divided into smaller areas of 15 – 50 m2 ( 161 – 538 ft²) or areas which are possible to handle in 20 minutes. In hot, dry weather the areas should be further reduced. Shake the can carefully before and during the use.
Apply Synteko DOMO with an applicator with rubber blade (squeegee), with a steel spatula or pour directly on floor and distribute with red pad. Use a small brush or a small applicator in areas where it is difficult to reach with the normal applicator. Too much oil in puddles will splash around. Use 150 r.p.m. or similar adjustment of the buffer.
Redistribute the oil with a red pad – it is necessary to start within 20 minutes in normal temperatures. Add more oil if necessary. Repeat the process as long as the wood is absorbing the oil. When the wood is saturated, rub the whole surface with a red pad using a 150 r.p.m. buffer. Remove all excess oil with a non-flocculent cotton cloth wrapped around a red pad. Change cloth or pad when it is filled up.
After 16 – 18 hours the floor must be buffed using a red pad. Final polishing is done with a dry non – flocculent cotton cloth wrapped around the pad and 150 – 300 r.p.m. adjustment of the buffer.
Note: Do not allow unabsorbed oil to dry! Dried unabsorbed oil gives glossy spots on the surface. Re-polish secondary bleeding of oil with red pad before exposure to traffic 1 to 2 days after final polishing. Wait for 3 days before placing rugs or carpets and do not use vapour proof, non-skid underlayments or other coverings.
SYNTEKO FLOOR OILS CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Surfaces treated with Synteko floor oils are easy to keep clean. Regular maintenance will restore your floor’s lustre and keep it
How do I use SOAP 1617?
When necessary, for regular cleaning, but no sooner than one week after oil treatment. Floors may be washed with a 1:20 dilution of Synteko Soap in lukewarm water, using a well wrung cloth.
How do I use REMOVER 1692?
Vacuum or mop the floor to remove any dirt. Prepare Synteko REMOVER
For normal cleaning, 1/2 – 1 part Synteko REMOVER to 100 parts water.
For heavy cleaning, 2 – 3 parts Synteko REMOVER to 100 parts water.
Soak a cloth in the mixture; do not pour it directly onto the floor. Wet mop, let the act for a few minutes and then dry mop. Further cleaning with 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water is recommended if sanding and recoating is to be done. The floor must be completely dry before screening and recoating.
How do I use RE-COVER 1620?
Clean the floor with a Synteko REMOVER solution. Make sure the floor is completely dry before applying Synteko RE-COVER. Apply it thinly with a rubber spatula, floor cloth or similar. Allow the floor to absorb the RE-COVER for 10 –15 minutes before applying it again (if necessary). Let the surface dry for 20 minutes and polish the floor with a clean, dry, non-flocculent floor cloth. The floor may be used after 2-4 hours.